Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:15:13 EDT 2018

On 7/16/2018 2:01 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> [...]

Just to be clear, 🌱【 】🌱・゚✧【 】,
\U0001f331, \u3010, \u3011, \uff65, \uff9f, \u2727 are the non-ascii
chars in the above.

for c in """🌱【 Stardew Valley Fanart 】🌱*:・゚✧【 800 Subpoints = NEW
EMOTE】#devicat #anime #stardewvalley #fantasy""": print(hex(ord(c)))

They look fine on Thunderbird, including the orange and green fruit.
They look ok in Notepad++ (the fruit is black and white and not
recognizable without knowing what it is).

> Oh! I just remembered. Try installing (through apt-get or equivalent)
> the "unifont" package. It'll drag in a few fonts designed to provide
> good coverage of all of Unicode, making them available as fallback
> fonts. That way, when you use a font that doesn't have all the
> characters, it'll use that for the bulk of the text, but instead of
> the rectangles that you're seeing, you'll get the correct glyphs.

Windows 10 comes with good coverage of Unicode, fallback, and
bidirectional (bidi) support.

--
Terry Jan Reedy