[SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Re: Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 16 15:22:37 EDT 2018

On Monday 16 July 2018 15:04:53 Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 7/16/2018 10:54 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 16 July 2018 10:24:28 Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> >> Plus the bytes syntax is really ugly. I wish Python3 had reserved
> >> '...' for byte strings and "..." for UTF-32 strings.
>
> Aside from the fact that Python3 strings are not UTF-32 strings,
> this would have broken all the code that used '' and ""
> interchangeably and prohibited such conveniences as "In formal
> English, do not use don't, isn't, and ain't."
>
> >  From a lurker, that does sound usefull. The next PEP maybe?
>
> I hope you are joking or teasing Marko.

I wasn't, but obviously didn't consider the ramifications of that on
existing programs. My bad. I note that it also elicited a strong defense
of the status quo. Expected though, given the tone of this list over the
last year or so.  So I'll go back to lurking. :) I am here to learn. If
I can...

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)