Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Mon Jul 16 13:27:52 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-16 17:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 16:38:41 -0700, Jim Lee wrote:
>
>> As I said, there are programming situations where the programmer only
>> needs to deal with a single language - his own.
>
> This might come as a shock to you, but just because Python's native
> string type supports (for example) the Devanagari alphabet, that doesn't
> mean you are forced to use it in your code or application.
>
> # Look ma, not a single Cyrillic or Greek or Tagalog letter in sight!
> label = "something interesting"
>

> Don't worry, the UN Language Police aren't going to force you at gunpoint
> to label your output in Khmer, Hiragana and Gujarati if you don't want to.

The vast majority of what I write could be handled by ASCII.

However, sometimes I want to write £, so I'd have to extend that to Latin-1.
On rare occasions I want to write something that Latin-1 can't handle.

That would mean having modify any scripts to support some other encoding
too.

Being lazy, I just opted for doing it all in Unicode and UTF-8.