Unicode [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:13:59 EDT 2018

On 07/16/18 03:26, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> But the thing is, that complexity is *inherent in the domain*. You can
> try to deal with it without Unicode, and as soon as you have users
> expecting to use more than one code page, you're doomed.

No, I'm not doomed, because there *are* no other users.  Never will be.
I thought I made that clear.

Many programming tasks do not go beyond the machine they were written on.

You seem to think I'm trying to rid the world of Unicode - I've stressed
that I'm not.

I just think that a language should allow one to bypass Unicode handling
easily *when it's not needed*.

-Jim