Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Mon Jul 16 02:26:53 EDT 2018

Am 16.07.18 um 03:02 schrieb Jim Lee:
> But I don't speak Esperanto,  and my programs don't generally care what
> characters are used for European currencies.  When I create a simple
> program that takes a text file (created by me) and munges it into a
> different format, I don't care if someone from Uzbekistan can read it or
> not.  When I create a one-time use program to visualize some data on a
> graph, I don't care if anyone else can read the axis labels but me.
> These are realities.  A good programming language will allow for these
> realities without putting the burden on the programmer to turn *every*
> program into a politically correct, globalization compliant model of
> modern groupthink.

Then please show a program of that kind where you need to put additional
effort in to make it run under Python3, but it'd be easy in Python2! I
regularly write similar programs, and it works for me to simply ignore
that there is Unicode etc. Just load some data and show it in numpy, why
do I need to care about Unicode?

	Christian