Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:08:15 EDT 2018

On 07/15/18 14:50, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com>:
>> Yes, and for *that*, language matters;  but, for a vast array of
>> programming tasks that *don't* involve global communications, it's an
>> added level of complexity with zero benefit.  It would be *nice* to be
>> able to turn support on or off, depending on the requirements of the
>> individual program or, better yet, be able to simply ignore the
>> feature(s).
> Can you illustrate your point with some lines of Python code?
>

> Marko

Python3 is intrinsically tied to Unicode for string handling. Therefore,
the Python programmer is forced to deal with it (in all but trivial
cases), rather than given a choice.  So I don't understand how I can
illustrate my point with Python code since Python won't let me deal with
strings without also dealing with Unicode.

-Jim

-Jim