Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:04:15 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/15/18 15:07, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> You seem to be purposefully obfuscating things.
>>>
>>> One language, not zero languages.  Obviously.
>>
>> DeviCat's channel specifically has "English only" as chat rule #3, yet
>> you admit that it requires "language" and thus text. One language or
>> many, you need text. Nothing I ever said was assuming multiple
>> languages.
>>
>> ChrisA
>

> I have no clue what this has to do with the original point - that sometimes
> programs only need to deal with one language, not many (and emoji are
> tangential to the discussion).

You claimed that Unicode was insignificant to many programs. I'm
trying to say that a Unicode text string is a vital part of any
program that works with text, which is pretty much anything that talks
to humans. You keep saying that ... well you keep saying different
things, and I've lost track of what your point actually is, but you
want a way to... disable Unicode? Or something? And you have yet to
give any example of a program that doesn't need Unicode, but still
uses text.

ChrisA