Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 16:09:21 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 4:22 AM, James Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> No. The real ten billion dollar question is how people in 2018 can stick
>> their head in the sand and take seriously the position that Latin-1 (let
>> alone ASCII) is enough for text strings.
>>

> Easy - for many people, 90% of the Python code they write is not intended
> for world-wide distribution, let alone use.
>
> The smart thing would be for a language to have a switch of some sort to
> turn on/off all I18N features.

Earlier I cited an example of round-tripping from human to human via
various web protocols. Here's an actual example of a Twitch stream
title:

🌱【 Stardew Valley Fanart 】🌱*:・゚✧【 800 Subpoints = NEW EMOTE
】#devicat #anime #stardewvalley #fantasy

Citation: https://www.twitch.tv/devicat just went live with that
title. This is a channel where rule #3 is that everyone should speak
English. If "all I18N features" are disabled, would this title be
disallowed? Several of those characters are not in Latin-1; one of
them (occurring twice) isn't even in the BMP.

ChrisA