Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Jul 15 02:20:27 EDT 2018

Paul Rubin wrote:
> If you see the historical absence
> of an assignment operator in Python as a mistake, then the introduction
> of := is a fix for the mistake that only happened because people kept
> complaining.

That's not quite the same thing. There was no a PEP saying
that there would never be assignment expressions in Python, so
there was room for useful debate. Now that the := PEP is
accepted, further argument about it is not productive. As
far as I know, no PEP has ever been revoked after acceptance,
and that's a good thing for the stability of the language.

It's like the rule sports usually have that the referee's
decision is final, even if it turns out to be wrong. At some
point you need to make a decision and move on.

--
Greg