Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Jan van den Broek balglaas at dds.nl
Sat Jul 14 03:39:12 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-13, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

[Schnipp]

> And while we're talking about the Dutch, why is the country called
> Holland, but then also The Netherlands, but the people are Dutch?

Be careful here, this is a somewhat delicate matter. Strictly speaking
Holland is part of Nederland (the Netherlands). Nederland is divided in
twelve provinces[1], Noord- and ZuidHolland are two of them. Calling
the Netherlands Holland is an guaranteed to annoy people from the
other then.
Historical speaking, Holland was (along with Zeeland) one of the more
powerfull members in the Republic.

[1] https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:NederlandseProvinciesLarge.png
--
Jan v/d Broek