Cult-like behaviour [was Re: Kindness]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jul 13 19:56:29 EDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:04:39 -0400, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

> On 2018-07-13 05:45 PM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> Yeah, that is cult behavior. Here's a few boxes to tick on:

> I couldn't find a single item that applies to this group.  What's your
> point?

I think that Marko sometimes likes to stir the ants nest by looking down
at the rest of us and painting himself as the Lone Voice Of Sanity in a
community gone mad *wink*

Let's look at the very first point on the checklist:

    "The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning
    commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead)
    regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the
    Truth, as law."

Apparently Marko didn't notice the irony of suggesting that we display
excessive commitment to GvR in the middle of a thread that started with
Guido resigning his leadership position with these words:

    "I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for a PEP and
    find that so many people despise my decisions."

Yeah, the *hundreds if not thousands* of emails, posts, tweets and other
messages telling Guido off for getting it idiotically wrong *really*
sounds like cultists taking the words of their leader as divine truth. /s

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson