variable scope in try ... EXCEPT block.

aleiphoenix aleiphoenix at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 21:42:39 EDT 2018

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 5:45:52 PM UTC+8, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Yes, it's intentional, but it's not exactly a scope.  In
>
>   https://docs.python.org/3/reference/compound_stmts.html#try
>
> --
> Ben.

Thank you for the reply. Never thought of this kind of problem in Python3.

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 6:02:27 PM UTC+8, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> You can work around this by explicitly assigning to another local
> variable:
>
>     try:
>     except Exception as e:
>         err = e  # only "e" will be deleted when we exit the block

I ended up with workaround like this.

> This is necessary in Python 3 (but not Python 2) because exception
> objects form a reference cycle with something (the traceback?) which is a
> big, heavyweight object. Allowing random exception objects to stay alive
> for long periods was consuming unacceptable amounts of memory, so it was
> decided to hit this problem with a hammer and fix it in the simplest,
> although least elegant, way: just delete the exception when leaving the
> except block.
>
> You can see the disassembled byte-code here. Here's the output from
> Python 3.5:
>
> [assembly code]

And thanks for the kind answer here. Guest I should dig into Python3 deeper.

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 6:10:57 AM UTC+8, codew... at gmail.com wrote:

> Is there a downside of implementing
> it similarly to this (untested):
>
>   # generate a unique name for __except_N
>   except E as __except_N:
>     if 'N' in locals() or N in globals():
>       __original_N = N
>
>     N = __except_N
>     try:
>       foo()
>     finally:
>       del __except_N
>
>       if '__original_N' in locals():
>         N = __original_N
>         del __original_N
>       else:
>         del N

I prefer it like this. Thus, like said Python3 have chosen "fix it in the simplest, although least elegant", I guess.