Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Thu Jul 12 18:20:57 EDT 2018

Yes, you read that right: Guido van Rossum resigns as Python leader.

See his mail:
(https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-July/005664.html)

> Now that PEP 572 is done, I don't ever want to have to fight so hard
 > for a PEP and find that so many people despise my decisions.
>
> I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process.
> I'll still be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll
> still be available to mentor people -- possibly more available. But
> I'm basically giving myself a permanent vacation from being BDFL, and
> you all will be on your own.
>
> After all that's eventually going to happen regardless -- there's
> still that bus lurking around the corner, and I'm not getting
> younger... (I'll spare you the list of medical issues.)
>
> I am not going to appoint a successor.
>
> So what are you all going to do? Create a democracy? Anarchy? A
 > dictatorship? A federation?
>
> I'm not worried about the day to day decisions in the issue tracker
> or on GitHub. Very rarely I get asked for an opinion, and usually it's >
not actually important. So this can just be dealt with as it has
 > always been.
>
> The decisions that most matter are probably
 > - How are PEPs decided
 > - How are new core devs inducted
>
> We may be able to write up processes for these things as PEPs (maybe
 > those PEPs will form a kind of constitution). But here's the catch.
 > I'm going to try and let you all (the current committers) figure it
 > out for yourselves.
>
> Note that there's still the CoC -- if you don't like that document
> your only option might be to leave this group voluntarily. Perhaps
> there are issues to decide like when should someone be kicked out
> (this could be banning people from python-dev or python-ideas too,
> since those are also covered by the CoC).
>
> Finally. A reminder that the archives of this list are public (
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/) although
 > membership is closed (limited to core devs).
>
> I'll still be here, but I'm trying to let you all figure something
> out for yourselves. I'm tired, and need a very long break.
>
 > --

"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."
         -- Franklin P. Jones

Roel Schroeven