about main()

Calvin Spealman cspealma at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 13:47:46 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/18 10:15, Calvin Spealman wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Python?
>>>
>>> Seriously, though. The principle of expressive encapsulation is one of
>>> the basic cornerstones of writing computer programs. Performance barely
>>> ever becomes a question, and even more rarely has anything to do with
>>> the number of function calls (low-level programming language compilers
>>> optimize efficiently).
>>>
>>> The most important objective of software development is the management
>>> of complexity. Silly performance optimizations are way down the priority
>>> list.
>>>

>>> Marko
>>>

>> Sadly, this *is* the current mindset.
>>
>> "Don't bother optimizing, the compiler does it better than you can."
>>

> I think that is a pretty clear mis-characterization of what was said.
>

> Well, you did say "silly performance optimizations".

That wasn't me, but I do agree with the sentiment in that its often silly
to focus on them at the wrong time and without constraints that warrant
that focus.

> The mindset isn't that optimization will be done for you, but that it
> isn't high on a priority list.
>

> Things at the bottom of a priority list tend to never get done -
> especially in the current era of software development.  And if you rarely
> or never do something, you lose the skill.  The horde of programmers a
> generation or two from now may have no clue how to do these things.  That's
> the pitfall behind "smart tools".

You say "pitfall", but I say "allow developers to focus on higher-level
problems and enable developers to specialize among tasks so every single
one of us doesn't have to be a jack of all trades just to build a todo list
app".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯