PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Schachner, Joseph Joseph.Schachner at Teledyne.com
Thu Jul 5 10:41:10 EDT 2018

It is interesting to contemplate how this could transform Python into nearly a statically typed language:
x = 3
x = f(x)

If you say the type checker should infer that x is an int, and then therefore complain about x=f(x) if f() does not return an int, then we have what in new C++ is auto type declaration by default, and after that it's statically typed.

So this would still work
valStr = QueryMeasuringInstrument("app.Meas.P1.Result.Mean")
val = float(valStr)

but this would not:
val = QueryMeasuringInstrument("app.Meas.P1.Result.Mean")
val = float(val)
even though it works today in both Python 2 and Python 3.   I don't think the intent of var annotations is to automatically extract the type for variables that are not annotated, and then insist that they retain the same type at all times.   It would break this example.

I think if I do annotate a variable, THEN the type checker can insist that I do not change its type.  So this could cause an error:

string val = QueryMeasuringInstrument("app.Meas.P1.Result.Mean")
val = float(val)

--- Joe S.