Getting posts to sort chronologically in tree view

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 3 15:59:36 EDT 2018

T Berger <brgrt2 at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm posting directly to the forum (computer.lang.python, at this web
> address:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.python/vWCvLYjOWUQ)

Thanks for being specific. So, from that description, you are using the
Google Groups web interface to read and send messages in this forum.

That is not “posting directly to the forum”, because this forum doesn't
have a single canonical direct location. (And if it did, that location
would certainly not be Google Groups.)

> And I have to apologize. The threads in my previous conversation,
> ERRNO 48: Address already in use, are so extensive and hierarchical,
> that they appear to be out of order. They're not.

Right. I gather, from many complaints by Google Groups users over many
years, that it is a terrible interface for interacting with any forum.

The lack of proper threading support is just one of many well-known bugs
that Google show no sign of correcting. They show every sign, in fact,
of having no interest in listening to the requests from users of that
software.

Given that history, you might want to avoid Google Groups for
interacting with forums, and choose software that works better with
discussion forums. I am told Mozilla Thunderbird is a good choice, but
there are likely others.

--
 \      “Earth gets its price for what Earth gives us.” —James Russell |
  `\                                                            Lowell |