Multi-threading with a simple timer?

Michael Vilain michael.vilain at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:32:03 EDT 2018

The way I've done the "input with timeout" requirement the OP requested is dependent on the operating system.  The current implementation of the input function doesn't offer that feature.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html#input

In another language, I used low-levelsystem calls to the OS to get terminal assigned to the process running the program, open the terminal for read, and set a time-out for that read.  This is by no means portable.

I looked at the os.open() method and it doesn't offer a timeout option.  Then I found curses.  That has a getch() function that can be setup with a halfdelay() timer.

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/curses.html

That's the closest I could find to getting input with a time-out from the terminal.  If it's to kludgy, you'll have to roll your own OS-specific version.  My guess is that Windows and Linux (and whatever else you choose to implement) are different.

Got code?

--
Anything invented before you were eighteen was there all along.
Anything invented before you’re thirty is exciting and will change the world forever.