EXTERNAL: OSError: [Errno 48] Address already in use

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jul 3 02:03:53 EDT 2018

Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Nevertheless, the later socket object cannot unilaterally take over a
> socket using SO_REUSEADDR. The earlier socket object must have set the
> same option previously.

I just did an experiment that suggests that's not the case.
I created a socket without SO_REUSEADDR, made a connection to
it, and killed it. Then I created another socket within the
timeout period with SO_REUSEADDR, and it succeeded.

This was on MacOSX -- it's possible that other systems
behave differently.

--
Greg