PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Jim Lee jlee54 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 21:20:53 EDT 2018

On 07/02/18 17:51, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> For most of us mere mortals, the "ten thousand hours" rule of thumb
> applies.
>
> Ten thousand hours should be read as an indefinitely large number
>
>> A truly good programmer will be able to learn about the
>> language being used on the job.
> Indeed, if you don't mind paying them for the couple of weeks it takes
> them to come up to speed on the language and the couple of years it takes
> to master it.

So we went from 10,000 hours, to infinite, and then back to a couple of
years?

The 10,000 hour rule would apply to mastering the general craft of
programming, not a specific language.

Since 10,000 hours is about 5 years in a 9-5 setting, I'd say that's
about right.

As I'm sure you've experienced, picking up a second language after
mastering the general craft of programming takes far less time.

-Jim