PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:34:10 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Jim Lee <jlee54 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Languages that used to be small, lean, and exceptional at doing things
> really well in a given domain have morphed into large, monolithic, bloated
> language *systems* that do many things in many domains, and have many ways
> to do the *same* thing, but none of it particularly well.  Throwing more
> processor horsepower and more GB of memory at the problem can only mask it
> for so long.

I used to write useful programs that ran in 256 bytes of RAM.  Back then,
the phone in my pocket right now would've been a supercomputer.

The fact of the matter is the economics have changed a lot since then.
Machine time used to be really expensive compared to developer time.
Today, it's the opposite: developer time is really expensive compared to
machine time.

It doesn't make much sense anymore to wring one's hands about "throwing"
more computer power at a problem.