PEP 526 - var annotations and the spirit of python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 1 21:21:21 EDT 2018

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 22:48:00 +0400, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer wrote:

> not python, the spirit of python,
>
> i guess i must have been around when it was first discussed, now it's
> too late to discuss why it was introduced in the first place ...

Guido has been talking about this for a LONG time:

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=85551

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=86641

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=87182

And for a perspective on why this is not only something desirable, but
something which historically dynamic languages *used to have* but lost,
see

https://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/05/dynamic-languages-strike-back.html

--
Steven D'Aprano