[OT] Dutch Reach [was Re: Where has the practice of sending screen shots as source code come from?]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 31 22:07:49 EST 2018

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 16:14:45 +0100, Adriaan Renting wrote:

> I am Dutch and after googling the term, I can confirm that the "Dutch
> Reach" is taught in driving school here. I was taught this maneuvre when
> getting my licence 20 years ago.

Thanks for the data point. Was it a requirement of the driving test?

> If it is actually used by a lot of people, I can't confirm. I use it
> most of the time, depending on what model car I'm driving. (wether the
> door handles are easy to reach/operate).
>
> The way I was taught, you have to check your mirrors and then use it to
> force you to check your blind spot,

But it doesn't force you to do anything - reaching over to the door
handle with your opposite hand doesn't make you look over your shoulder.

And given that you are stopped, any vehicle travelling in your blind spot
is going to only be there for a fraction of a second. If you are taking a
genuine careful look for traffic, rather than a quick careless glance,
you'll see any vehicle in your blind spot because it won't be in the
blind spot for long.

> mostly to avoid cars hitting
> you/your door on the drivers side.

Yes, this is also a big problem. I used to work with somebody who came
within a fraction of a centimetre of taking a woman's arm off when she
suddenly opened the door to her car as he drove past in a narrow road. He
took the door completely off.

--
Steve