Where has the practice of sending screen shots as source code come from?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 08:48:15 EST 2018

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 1:02:12 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:32:11 -0800, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 8:37:11 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano
> > wrote:
> >> I'm seeing this annoying practice more and more often. Even for trivial
> >> pieces of text, a few lines, people post screenshots instead of copying
> >> the code.
> >>
> >> Where has this meme come from? It seems to be one which inconveniences
> >> *everyone* involved:
> >
> > Have you heard of the “Dutch Reach¨?
> > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/the-dutch-reach-how-opening-car-
> door-like-the-dutch-could-save-lives-cycling/
>
> Ah, yes, the Dutch Reach. That would be like the French Pox (which isn't
> French), the Spanish Flu (that didn't start in Spain), the Jerusalem
> artichoke (which is neither an artichoke nor from Jerusalem), and the
> turkey (the bird, which has nothing to do with Turkey, the country).
>
> This technique is neither taught nor commonly used used by the Dutch:
> apparently some Americans decided that because the Netherlands has a lot
> of cyclists, they'll say its Dutch.

reference please But before we wander far afield OT please also read below

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dooring
>
> So let me see if I understand the logic...
>
> Rather than teach people to *explicitly* check their mirror to make sure
> it is safe before opening the car door, teach them a difficult, awkward
> maneuver which they're guaranteed to stop using the second the driving
> test is over, that merely points their head more-or-less vaguely in the
> right direction to *maybe* notice on-coming cyclists *if and only if*
> they're actually paying attention.

You have interpreted my example/analogy/allegory in the opposite sense from the intention.  The example is really far OT for this list so let me back up the abc
hierarchy:

> I can see this falls under the problem solving technique, "We must do
> something, this is something, therefore we must do it!"

…to wit: Small changes of convenience expecially when habitualized can yield large benefits
In this (OT) case using the 'wrong hand' can save lives

If this example does not work for you lets not labour it but find others that do!

> The sorts of people who can't remember to check their mirror before
> opening the car door aren't the sort who will remember to use this
> awkward technique. And for those who can remember to do so, it is simpler
> and more effective to explicitly check your mirror (as the Dutch actually
> do).
>

> > Presumably it goes beyond the 'inconvenience' of images-instead-of-text
> > to the saving-of-lives…
>
> I have no idea what connection you think is between this and emailing
> pictures of source code in place of source code.

There is this slippery slope:
1. Action A is suboptimal (only makes sense wrt action B)
2. Action A is silly
3. You are doing a silly action A
4. You are silly for doing action A
5. You are silly
6. You are ____ <unmentionable adjective of our choice>

How close you are to 6 is for you to say
What I want to say is I'd like to be closer to 1

Text is a highly stylized unnatural medium
Its an extreme digitization of something (do you remember?) called handwriting…
At least I remember… being an unwilling school boy… using something called
fountain pens… filled with something called ink… that for some reason had greater affinity for our school uniforms than for our notebooks

That people who have not been cultured in a certain way can do aggravating things
like talking with pics instead of text — I wont dispute
That people who have gone from the nature to nurture process conveniently forget
this process is more aggravating