Where has the practice of sending screen shots as source code come from?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 28 15:11:59 EST 2018

On 1/28/2018 10:54 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 28/01/2018 15:04, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> I'm seeing this annoying practice more and more often. Even for trivial
>> pieces of text, a few lines, people post screenshots instead of copying
>> the code.

This happens on Stackoverflow too.  There, one can vote to close for
lack of code or error message in the text.  I generally do not follow
code image links and would encourage other to abstain also.

Hypothesis: as the number of beginning programming classes increases,
the average quality, in some sense, of instructors and students go down.
  On the other hand, I am sometimes impressed by what people attempt
after too little preparation, in an attempt to improve their lives.

>> Where has this meme come from? It seems to be one which inconveniences
>> *everyone* involved:

> At least for Windows users, grabbing a partial screenshot (eg of text)
> has been very easy since Windows 7 when the "Snipping Tool" was added to
> the builtins. Certainly easier for the average user than trying to do a
> slightly tricky rectangle selection within the Windows console.

I somehow missed the Snipping Tool.  Thanks for the information.  I
won't use it for this list ;-), but an image of the MS Error box might
be helpful occasionally on the tracker.

In Win10 Command Prompt, selection now works more of less normally, so
that excuse is gone.

--
Terry Jan Reedy