Where has the practice of sending screen shots as source code come from?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Jan 28 10:54:31 EST 2018

On 28/01/2018 15:04, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> I'm seeing this annoying practice more and more often. Even for trivial
> pieces of text, a few lines, people post screenshots instead of copying
> the code.
>
> Where has this meme come from? It seems to be one which inconveniences
> *everyone* involved:
>
> - for the sender, instead of a simple copy and paste, they have to take a
> screen shot, possibly trim the image to remove any bits of the screen
> they don't want to show, attach it to their email or upload it to an
> image hosting site;

At least for Windows users, grabbing a partial screenshot (eg of text)
has been very easy since Windows 7 when the "Snipping Tool" was added to
the builtins. Certainly easier for the average user than trying to do a
slightly tricky rectangle selection within the Windows console.

Likewise, including it in an email isn't hard; there's a command to do
it right there from within that tool.

And some at least of the disadvantages you cite for the receiver are
rarely known or well understood by the senders. They regularly send and
receive emails with embedded images; why should the mailing list they
use be any different?

FWIW I agree with you; and I even see this at work in different forms:
someone sends a screenshot of a spreadsheet to illustrate a problem
rather than the sheet itself. (When there's no especial sensitivity
which might otherwise be a good reason).

But most people don't interact with text-only forums these days, so it's
only natural that the don't consider that aspect of things.

TJG