Can't get python running

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Sun Jan 21 06:55:55 EST 2018

On 21/01/18 02:52, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> python36 is a better choice of name
>>

>> That's what I use; I assumed everyone else used the 3-digit version in the
>> path.
>
> Terrible assumption, given that it's not the default NOR a good idea :)
>
>> , as it doesn't cause problems when
>>>
>>> you upgrade to a new bugfix release. But there are permissions issues
>>> with dropping stuff straight into the root directory, which is why the
>>> default installers now put Python into Program Files.
>>

>> It's not in the root, the executable will be:
>>
>>   c:\python36\python.exe
>>
>> Not c:\python.exe. Yes, Windows allows you to have your own directories
>> within /. It's not Unix.
>
> I meant putting the pythonXY directory straight into the root. Yes,
> Windows allows it... but only if you are administrator. I think.

AFAIK you also have to be administrator to install things in
r"C:\Program Files". If you install something user-only, (which more
software supports than many people think) it ends to somewhere in the
user directory.

I always thought that installing things in "Program Files" rather than
the root directory was just good manners (just like installing things in
/usr/local or /opt on GNU/Linux)