Can't get python running

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Sat Jan 20 20:40:12 EST 2018

On 21/01/2018 01:21, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 20/01/2018 17:16, Jim Sadler wrote:
>>>
>>> I downloaded python 3.6.4 and although everything about the installation
>>> seems correct (path, file size, checking on cmd to see if file installed
>>> correctly-it is)
>>

>> What do you mean by 'checking on cmd'?
>>
>> I would install it somewhere like c:\python364, then it is easier to find
>> than having it buried in its default installation path (I assume this is
>> Windows).
>
> python36 is a better choice of name

That's what I use; I assumed everyone else used the 3-digit version in
the path.

, as it doesn't cause problems when
> you upgrade to a new bugfix release. But there are permissions issues
> with dropping stuff straight into the root directory, which is why the
> default installers now put Python into Program Files.

It's not in the root, the executable will be:

   c:\python36\python.exe

Not c:\python.exe. Yes, Windows allows you to have your own directories
within /. It's not Unix.

> Jim, let the installer put it where it wants to, and make sure you've
> added it to PATH. Then you should be able to type "py" to start
> Python.

If I try to install 3.7 (as I already have 3.6) it suggests putting it in:

  c:\Users\users\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32

Not actually a snappy path if you need to get there in a hurry to sort
out problems. That is, in a location 7 levels deep.

Get it working anywhere first to find out what the problem is.

--
bartc