pip --user by default

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:30:05 EST 2018

> I just tried that and it turns out that that installs the package into
> the main anaconda/miniconda installation rather than the conda env.
> Definitely not what you want.

Yes, installing in the root environment (as it's called) is generally
a bad idea.

I use Conda at work, in a shared sort of environment. It took our
smart people (I'm not one) awhile along with some updates from the
Anaconda folks to get the whole enterprise-wide Conda thing to work
reasonably well. I do one key thing to prevent myself from being the
cause of problems. I never run with the root environment's bin
directory in PATH. Caveat... I write this with my Linux/Unix hat on. I
don't own a Windows hat. Again, YMMV.

Skip