requests / SSL blocks forever?

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Mon Jan 15 13:55:48 EST 2018

On 2018-01-15, Nagy László Zsolt <gandalf at shopzeus.com> wrote:
>> In other words: if the server starts to send the response, but then
>> stops sending it (without closing the connection), then this will block
>> forever anyway.
> Or maybe I misunderstood the docs and the timeout means the max. time
> elapsed between receiving two chunks of data from the server?

Yes. It's documented better here:
http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/user/advanced/#timeouts

You can't specify a "total time" within which the operation must
succeed or be abandoned, but if you specify a timeout and the
server stops responding, either at the start of the process or
in the middle of the response, then it will time out after the
specified delay.