Simple graphic library for beginners

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 12:25:22 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 January 2018 at 06:47, Steven D'Aprano

>> If pip is joined at the hip to a specific version of Python, I think that
>> we ought to be able to specify the version number like we can with Python.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> pip ...  # use whichever version of pip comes first on the PATH
>> pip3.6 ...  # use the pip installed with Python 3.6
>> pip2.7 ...  # use the pip installed with Python 2.7
>
> Well, that's sort of how it's intended to work, but in practice it
> doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it ought to be. I can't
> really say why, as it's a Unix-only thing and I don't really
> understand the reasons, but it's why I'm a fan of the "python -m pip"
> approach. There's discussion on the pip tracker if you're interested
> enough to go searching - I know it's something that's been debated,
> but I don't recall the context.

In general I think more than one app and executable with same name
on a system already asks for problems.
On Windows I had issues with pip and pygame and I have two Pythons -
2.7.14 and 3.6.2.
The problem was that I could not make it install to 2.7, and tried many options,
looking in SO there were so many different solutions, but finally I found
something that reinstalled newer pip, but I don't remember frankly.

My opinion (from Windows user's POV) - I'd prefer if there should be
only one PIP in system,
so running pip will unambigiosly mean that I run (or upgrade) THE pip.
(and not something which I don't
even know where it is located). Ideally also it should be installed in
separate Directory.
So I'd have folders:

python 27
python 36
pip

And the target Python where the package will be installed should be defined by
a switch, e.g. 'pip -2', 'pip -3' (in analogy with 'py -2', 'py -3').
The question is though, how pip will know what version(s) of python I have, and
if I installed them later? Hmm, not an easy problem. So in this case pip shoud
track the multiple versions each time I install another version of python.

Mikhail