Simple graphic library for beginners

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri Jan 12 09:52:42 EST 2018

On 12/01/2018 01:56, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 11/01/2018 23:23, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm almost ready to plonk you, but I think there is still SOME value
>>> in your posts. But please, stop denigrating what you don't understand.
>>

>> And please try to see things from the pointer of view of a beginner or
>> outsider, where anything to do with Python seems to have a bewildering and
>> conflicting array of solutions.
>>
> You mean the sort of person who goes to the front page

The front page of what?

  and sees just
> two options, 2.7 and 3.6, and won't see anything about 3.7 until it's
> released?

Google for 'download python windows'. The first hit is this site:

  https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/

But before you click on it, the google search summary includes two links
in big type, to 2.7.14 and 3.7.0a2 (which are to information not
downloads). That is a strong suggestion that those are the latest versions.

When you do go to that page, you are looking for a link that has
'download' next to it. The first 6 such links on the page are all for 3.7.

If you a beginner, outsider, or infrequent user of Python with no idea
of what the latest version is, except that you already have 3.6 but it
might have a problem, which would you choose?

> Again, a number of people have put in a lot of hours to make
> that easy.

It appears that because of that I'm not allowed to make any
observations, not ones that could be construed as criticism.

But as another example, search for 'download pelles c', the first hit
should be this page:

   http://www.pellesc.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

That I think is a better presentation than Python's. It's also clearer
which is 32-bit and which is 64. (Will a beginner programmer who's not
going to be coding low level really appreciate the difference between
x86 and x86-64?)

But here's another example that goes the other way; the first hit for
'download lua windows' is this:

   https://www.lua.org/download.html

A rather puzzling page with some gobbledygook on it that appears to do
with Linux. And the download link gives a list of tar.gz files; not very
useful.

The second hit isn't much more use; the third one is more promising.

I do get the impression that applications that originate on Windows are
generally more accessible.

--
bartc