Simple graphic library for beginners

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 11 19:57:09 EST 2018

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 05:42:03 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Except my Python 3.6 doesn't have pip. There is a however a copy in my
>> Python 3.4. But that gives me the message:
>
> Why doesn't it? Recent Pythons should include pip by default.

Not quite.

Recent Pythons include "ensure pip" by default, which is a private
version of pip which is intended to do nothing but install the latest
version of pip.

> If you've broken your pip in some way, we won't be able to help you
> debug it with just this. Figure out why your Python 3.6 doesn't have a
> working pip, because that IS the normal and obvious thing to do.

Just because you have installed Python doesn't mean that pip will be
automatically installed and `pip ...` work from the shell.

There's also the problem that while you can easily install multiple
versions of Python without them clashing, the same doesn't apply to "pip".

How do you know which version of Python `pip install foo` will use? How
do I choose the version pip will install into? [not rhetorical questions]
Don't say "use venv", because using a virtual environment shouldn't be a
prerequisite for using pip.

How do I deal with permissions errors? [semi-rhetorical question -- I
know *an* answer, but I don't know if it is the *right* answer]

I keep hearing people say that pip is the greatest thing since sliced
bread, but my own personal experience with it is that installing pip is
only half the battle.

If it works for you, great -- but some of us have had so many problems
getting pip to work that we've gone back to just installing from source.

(Admittedly installing from source is probably harder for Windows users
than Linux users.)

--
Steve