Simple graphic library for beginners

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:23:09 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:11 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 11/01/2018 22:32, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:21 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>

>>> As I understand it, pygame is just another add-on, which doesn't
>>> inherently
>>> need to use .whl format, and which doesn't inherently need to use 'pip'
>>> package installer. I even saw somewhere that you needed to use 'pip
>>> install
>>> wheel' in order to use .whl.
>>>
>>> So there are two extraneous package systems to contend with, which
>>> themselves need to be the correct versions, before it can even start
>>> thinking about installing the product you really want.
>

>> More FUD. Especially when you preface something with "I even saw
>> somewhere". No reference, and it's not something from official
>> documentation.
>

> Why, you don't believe me? It was here:
> http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml, the last comment under 1.9.3.

You didn't say that in your first email, so no, I don't believe it
until I get a citation. "I even saw somewhere" is pure FUD, whether
there's something to back it or not. How is anyone supposed to know
whether it's true or not?

What you're reading is a comment that, instead of downloading this
way, you can simply use pip to get pygame. Which is what you should be
doing.

>  You're citing a potentially-outdated third-party
>>
>> document, and ignoring context (like "you need to 'pip install wheel'
>> to take advantage of wheel caching" which is not nearly as bad as
>> you're implying).
>

> What have pip and wheels got to do with pygame? Nothing.

They're the easiest and best way to install stuff.

>> You said yourself that when you used Python 3.6 (the latest stable
>> release, at time of writing), everything just worked. Why are you
>> still complaining?
>

> I like exploring complexity, and the gratuitous use of it.
>
> The subject is a Simple graphic library, for a language which is widely
> regarded (erroneously IMO) as also being simple.

I'm almost ready to plonk you, but I think there is still SOME value
in your posts. But please, stop denigrating what you don't understand.
Take an attitude that there is logic and value in things even when you
don't understand them yet. Do you realize how insulting you are being
to the people who have put INSANE amounts of work into improving
Python packaging and making it easy to install things?

ChrisA