Simple graphic library for beginners

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Thu Jan 11 15:34:40 EST 2018

On 11/01/2018 20:12, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 7:02 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On 11/01/2018 19:41, Paul Moore wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11 January 2018 at 18:33, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>

>>>       python -m pip install XXX
>>>
>>> just works, for 99% of things anyone wants. In particular it works for
>>> pygame.
>>>
>>> Continuing to complain about a situation that has been resolved for a
>>> year or more
>>

>> I tried that on my brand-new, just installed Python 3.7. It didn't work as
>> detailed in my other post.
>>
>> Please don't assume that because it works for you, that it MUST work for
>> everyone, and that they must be doing something wrong if it doesn't.
>>
>> Apparently it's missing a file called 'Setup'. Is it my fault if it can't
>> find it? Or if it insists on continuing to install something even when some
>> vital component is missing.
>>

> Most people would use the latest STABLE RELEASE of a language, if they
> expect it to be stable. Unreleased versions, alphas, and so on, may be
> very useful, but should not be expected to work perfectly with all
> third-party modules.

 >> I downloaded Python 3.7. It didn't work.
 >
 > Where from?

I found it at www.python.org. (in /downloads/windows). Although it said
'latest' release was 3.6.4, it didn't say anything about 3.7 being alpha
or beta release.

I chose 3.7 as I didn't want to uninstall 3.6 or risk any
cross-contamination from it if it had issues.

But I've since installed 3.6.4, replacing my 3.6.1, and that finally
works, in installing pygame.

As I said however, it was a bigger obstacle than actually programming
any graphics, and has taken up nearly half the thread.

It failed on my 3.6, it failed on 3.4, it failed on 3.7 (is what 'pip'
does really so leading edge?), and finally worked on a brand-new 3.6.

(But still no trace of that mysterious "Setup" file.)

--
bartc