Tips or strategies to understanding how CPython works under the hood

Robert O'Shea robertoshea2k11 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:21:41 EST 2018

Hey all,

Been subscribed to this thread for a while but haven't contributed much.
One of my ultimate goals this year is to get under the hood of CPython and
get a decent understanding of mechanics Guido and the rest of you wonderful
people have designed and implemented.

I've been programming in python for nearly 10 years now and while I can
write a mean Python script, I've been becoming more and more interested in
low level operations or complex C programs so I thought I could spread my
love of both to make a difference for me and others.

So besides just grabbing a chunk of CPython source code and digesting it, I
was wondering if those of you have read and understood the source code, do
you have any tips or good starting points?

Robert