Dunder variables

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Jan 9 03:41:19 EST 2018

Frank Millman wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have read that one should not call dunder methods in application code.
>
> Does the same apply to dunder variables? I am thinking of the instance
> attribute __dict__, which allows access to the contents of the instance.
>
> I only want to read from __dict__, not update it. Is this frowned upon?

Why would you care whether it is "frowned upon" if it's the best way to
achieve something useful?

So the real question is /what/ you are trying to do and what your options
are.

PS: vars(a) is the non-dunder equivalent of a.__dict__. Both have the same
limitations, like failing with __slots__ and not seeing properties and class
attributes.