Why does __ne__ exist?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jan 7 22:08:30 EST 2018

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Ben Finney via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> > I think “reject unless absolutely needed” is an unreasonably high
> > bar, which would disqualify most Python language features. So I
> > don't know why you expect this to be so especially strongly argued.
>
> True, I exaggerated a bit. But do you think that, had __ne__ not
> existed for years, its addition could be justified?

I'm not the one making pronouncements on what would or would not be
allowed, in a counterfactual universe where things had been different
for so many years. So, because I don't need to speculate about that, I
won't :-)

--
 \       “Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual |
  `\       profit without individual responsibility.” —Ambrose Bierce, |