Spectre/Meltdown bug affecting Python ?

Thomas Nyberg tomuxiong at gmx.com
Sat Jan 6 16:35:02 EST 2018

On 01/06/2018 10:23 PM, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> It's unclear to me whether AMD CPUs are affected by theses design flaws.

As far as I understand, AMD (and possibly ARM) is unaffected by Meltdown
(except for possibly some very new processors). It seems like basically
all modern out of order processors are affected by spectre. Obviously
there are many details/caveats. Here is a starting point:

Quoted from: https://spectreattack.com/
Which systems are affected by Meltdown?
Desktop, Laptop, and Cloud computers may be affected by Meltdown. More
technically, every Intel processor which implements out-of-order
execution is potentially affected, which is effectively every processor
since 1995 (except Intel Itanium and Intel Atom before 2013). We
successfully tested Meltdown on Intel processor generations released as
early as 2011. Currently, we have only verified Meltdown on Intel
processors. At the moment, it is unclear whether ARM and AMD processors
are also affected by Meltdown.

Which systems are affected by Spectre?
Almost every system is affected by Spectre: Desktops, Laptops, Cloud
Servers, as well as Smartphones. More specifically, all modern
processors capable of keeping many instructions in flight are
potentially vulnerable. In particular, we have verified Spectre on
Intel, AMD, and ARM processors.