Progress migrating cffi and pycparser to libclang

Etienne Robillard tkadm30 at yandex.com
Thu Jan 4 16:02:20 EST 2018

Hi Paul,

Le 2018-01-04 à 06:41, Paul Moore a écrit :
> Presumably that will introduce a dependency on some clang module? You
> mention clang.cindex - but the only clang package I can find on PyPI
> says "OBSOLETE. LLVM-CLANG NOW PUBLISHES PYTHON PACKAGE.
> JUST ADD THE OFFICIAL llvm-3.7 repo in your apt." but doesn't provide
> binaries or explain how to install clang on, say, Windows (to pick an
> example relevant to me :-)).
I'm targeting the Linux/x86 machine class.

On debian systems, it's pretty easy to install clang and the python
bindings with apt-get. :-)

> As a fork/extension for cffi, I have no particular opinion (I'm
> unlikely to ever use it). But the advantage of pycparser is that it's
> cross-platform and pure Python, so I doubt this will be acceptable for
> inclusion into CFFI itself.
CFFI/pycparser definitely need to be patched to support parsing standard
C directives like #define and #include in the ffi.cdef() function.

The easiest solution is to migrate the internal parsing code to
libclang, a state-of-the art C/C++ compiler based on LLVM.

Best regards,

Etienne

--
Etienne Robillard