py2exe output flagged as malware

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Feb 28 10:47:50 EST 2018

On 28/02/2018 11:46, alister via Python-list wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:53:09 +0000, Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> I see this has happened to others in the past. I'm using 32 bit python
>> 2.7.10 with py2exe 3.3 on windows 7. The exes work fine,
>> but when I try to download into windows 10 I'm getting the exes
>> immediately removed as malware.
>>
>> Is there any way to prevent this. It's very bad for python programs to
>> get this kind of reputation.
>>
>> Anyone know if the same happens with PyInstaller etc etc?
>
> I would suggest you contact the Anti-virus vendor,
> Are you sure you have download a clean copy of py2exe.

The anti-virus vendor is Microsoft; I imagine I will get short shrift from them regarding this issue.

Turns out my py2exe script was just pyinstaller under the hood. Apologies to py2exe.

I guess someone changed the build script script to use a different python packager.

I upgraded pyinstaller using the very latest pip and now the version of pyinstaller at least is 3.3.1. I don't actually know how
to check the validity of the installed code or the binary stubs.

After rebuilding with 3.3.1 the new exe is 10 bytes shorter and is not recognized as malware by windows 10.
--
Robin Becker