help me ?

jladasky at itu.edu jladasky at itu.edu
Tue Feb 27 22:43:32 EST 2018

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 10:56:52 AM UTC-8, Grant Edwards wrote:
> If the student is actively trying to avoid learning something, there's
> nothing you can do to help them.  They're just wasting their own time
> and money.

This is part of the reason why interviews for software developer jobs have gotten so crazy.  We have to weed out the impostors after they graduate.

> The fun part is giving them a solution that's so obscure and "clever"
> that it technically meets the stated requirement but is so far from
> what the instructor wanted that they don't get credit for it (and
> there's no way the student will be able explain how it works to the
> instructor).

It doesn't even need to be an obscure solution, it just needs to make use of things you don't expect a novice programmer to use, like lambdas.  A recent example:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.lang.python/0gYm2g3BA2A/s9xbBG1GAwAJ