How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:14:14 EST 2018

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 3:59:40 AM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:22:17 -0800, Rick Johnson wrote:

> (We tried painting Go Faster stripes on the server, and it
> didn't work.)

Well of course the server won't work after you drip water-
based paint all over the circuit boards. Way to go! In the
future i would suggest draping some old linens over the
electrical bits before throwing your paint around (just be
sure to consult with the wife before rummaging through her
linen closet, as men have been known to meet an untimely
demise for doing much less) . And might i suggest some
skulls and faux flames? Hey, it may not make the thing go
any faster, but it will surely make the other kids jealous.
There's no reason why apple and microsoft should be allowed
to suck up every last merchandising dollar.

> There's no point suggesting such major changes to Python
> that requires going back to the drawing board, to Python
> 0.1 or earlier, and changing the entire execution and
> memory model of the language.

Absolutely not. Probably too late for that now.  I'm only
suggesting that we, when at all possible, provide a switch
to disable these lazy-features in those rare cases when they
do create bottlenecks. Lazy iterators and dict-views are
great ideas, but i'm sure there are instances which prove
them to be PITA and even a bottleneck.