Is there are good DRY fix for this painful design pattern?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Feb 26 09:41:36 EST 2018

I have a class with a large number of parameters (about ten) assigned in
`__init__`. The class then has a number of methods which accept
*optional* arguments with the same names as the constructor/initialiser
parameters. If those arguments are None, the defaults are taken from the
instance attributes.

An example might be something like this:

class Foo:
    def __init__(self, bashful, doc, dopey, grumpy,
                       happy, sleepy, sneezy):
        self.bashful = bashful  # etc

    def spam(self, bashful=None, doc=None, dopey=None,
                   grumpy=None, happy=None, sleepy=None,
                   sneezy=None):
        if bashful is None:
            bashful = self.bashful
        if doc is None:
            doc = self.doc
        if dopey is None:
            dopey = self.dopey
        if grumpy is None:
            grumpy = self.grumpy
        if happy is None:
            happy = self.happy
        if sleepy is None:
            sleepy = self.sleepy
        if sneezy is None:
            sneezy = self.sneezy
        # now do the real work...

    def eggs(self, bashful=None, # etc...
                   ):
        if bashful is None:
            bashful = self.bashful
        # and so on

There's a lot of tedious boilerplate repetition in this, and to add
insult to injury the class is still under active development with an
unstable API, so every time I change one of the parameters, or add a new
one, I have to change it in over a dozen places.

Is there a good fix for this to reduce the amount of boilerplate?

Thanks,

--
Steve