How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 00:19:19 EST 2018

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 10:35:29 PM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[...]
> Ah, you mean just like the way things were in Python 1.0
> through 2.1? Hands up anyone who has seen an integer
> OverflowError in the last 10 years? Anyone?

I think Python2.1 is much older than 10 years, so yeah, of
course almost no one (save a few old timers) have seen that
error. :-)

> [...]
> I really miss having to either add, or delete, an "L"
> suffix from my long ints, and having to catch OverflowError
> to get any work done, and generally spending half my time
> worrying how my algorithms will behave when integer
> operations overflow.

I agree with your sarcasm. And that's why these types of
auto conversions should be optional. I agree that most times
it's more practical to let python handle the dirty details.
But in some cases, where you need to squeeze out a few more
drops of speed juice, you won't mind the extra trouble. And
perhaps you (meaning specifically you) will never need such
a flexible feature. But hey. The Python community is
diverse. So please do keep that in mind.