How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 23 14:25:35 EST 2018

On 23/02/2018 18:05, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 13:51:33 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Stop writing crap code and then complaining that the language is "too
> slow". Write better code, and then we'll take your complaints seriously.

I write compilers for static languages, which are generally considered
toys, partly because the code generated is not great.

But in a real application, the difference between my compiler, and
gcc-O3 or MSVC/O2 might only be 10-50%. 1.1 to 1.5 times as fast (or as
slow), and that's an application that does few external library calls.

The difference between Python and another dynamic language might be a
magnitude, yet you say it doesn't matter.

Thanks, that makes me feel much better about my own work! If a magnitude
difference in performance can be so casually dismissed.

> "Python takes hours to sort a million integers using BubbleSort! Its too
> damn slow!!!"
>
> "Why not use the built-in sort? That's fast."
>
> "NOOOOOO!!!! I MUST USE BUBBLESORT, BECAUSE REASONS!!!1!"
>
> *wink*

Have you ever written a benchmark in your life? If so, did it do
anything useful? Other than what benchmarks are normally used for.

--
bartc