How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Thu Feb 22 11:00:35 EST 2018

On 22/02/2018 12:03, bartc wrote:

> On the fib(20) test, it suggests using this to get a 30,000 times speed-up:

BTW while doing my tests, I found you could redefine the same function
with no error:

def fred():
	pass

def fred():
	pass

def fred():
	pass

For classes too. I was aware you could reassign a different value to
such names, but didn't know this applied to def.

I guess the reason is that 'def' is just another statement, and
statements can be conditional, so that you can have several versions.

It was still a surprise. What an easy way for things to go wrong by
writing a new version of a function but forgetting to delete the
original. And if they happen to be in the right order so the program
still works, it must be confusing to read.

--
bartc