atws

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 02:00:21 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to use the atws package
> (https://atws.readthedocs.io/readme.html). I am using python 2.7.6 on
> ubuntu-trusty-64 3.13.0-87-generic. I get this error when importing
> the package:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/atws/__init__.py", line
> 4, in <module>
>     from .wrapper import connect
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/atws/wrapper.py", line
> 32, in <module>
>     from . import connection
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/atws/connection.py",
> line 19, in <module>
>     from requests.exceptions import ConnectTimeout, Timeout,
> ReadTimeout, SSLError
> ImportError: cannot import name ConnectTimeout
>
> I would not be surprised if no one here has used this package, but has
> anyone seen this error in other packages or their own work?

You're running that on a fairly old version of Python (2.7.6 - the
latest in the 2.x branch is 2.7.14). It's entirely possible that the
app doesn't support the versions of Python and/or the 'requests'
library that you have installed.

First thing to try: can you use the app under Python 3? If you get the
same error there, you may need to upgrade other packages as well.
Installing 'requests' using pip in a virtual environment should get
you a newer version and might solve your problem.

For reference, here's the version of requests that I have (which does
have that exception available):

>>> import requests
>>> requests.__version__
'2.18.4'