Python on Android?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 16:14:18 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Johannes Findeisen <mailman at hanez.org> wrote:
> Don't know which Python version is included in Kivy Launcher and believe
> it is 2.7. but it think Kivy will go over to Python 3.* in the near
> future.

Well... after an insane number of attempts, most of which were at
least partially successful, I'm finally pulling the plug on this
project (for now). To get Python 3 support, I have to use unreleased
versions of everything, which in turn means a heap of fiddling around
in ways that aren't well documented ("how do you get X to use Y built
from source?"). I think I'll leave this for six months or a year and
see if the stable releases get support for Py3, at which point it'll
be a lot easier to get everything going.

But hey. I think there's enough here to suggest that this probably
WOULD work. At least for a simple "hello, world" app; might not be
enough for everything I'd like to do, but core functionality should be
there.

If anyone has any suggestions, here's the hello world project that
I've been playing with:

https://github.com/Rosuav/kivy-testing

In theory, the command "buildozer android debug" ought to build an
APK, but I didn't manage to get that to happen. If it works for you,
can you please tell me ALL the packages you're using and their exact
versions? I suspect that it's mainly a version problem.

ChrisA