Python on Android?

Johannes Findeisen mailman at hanez.org
Tue Feb 20 18:11:24 EST 2018

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 23:12:23 +1100
Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:57 AM, Johannes Findeisen <mailman at hanez.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:57:02 +1100
> > Chris Angelico wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have experience with running Python scripts on Android
> >> phones? I have a brother (honestly! I'm not actually using a phone
> >> myself!) who's trying to run one of my scripts in QPython, which
> >> claims to be version 3.2.2. I think that really truly is a Python 3.2
> >> implementation - probing for newer features suggests that it actually
> >> doesn't even support the u"..." syntax that came (back) in with Python
> >> 3.3. So... does anyone know of a Python interpreter that's compatible
> >> with 3.4 or better and runs on Android?
> >>

> > There is an App for Android called "Pydroid 3". You can find it in
> > the Google Play Store [0]. It provides a Python interpreter in version
> > 3.6.2 in its current release.
> >
> > The Python binary is installed under
> >
> > /data/user/0/ru.iiec.pydroid3/files/arm-linux-androideabi/bin/python
> >
> > but I can not access it in a normal terminal without being user "root"
> > but it is usable from within the terminal included in the Pydroid App.
>
> Many thanks for all the suggestions. Pydroid is the one that has
> worked; he's now able to run stuff happily from the terminal. Next
> step is to create an icon that invokes it, but that's looking rather
> harder (probably means I'm going to have to learn Kivy, and I already
> have no shortage of projects...). Everything's working in the terminal
> (even a read-write $HOME, which we didn't have previously), and I'm
> pretty happy with that!
>
> All suggestions were read and are appreciated, even though I'm only
> quoting the one we ended up going with. Thank you Kirill, MRAB, Abdur,
> and Johannes!

You're welcome!

Take a look at the "Kivy Launcher" App for Android if You don't want to
do deep learning of Kivy. With this App You can just copy some
Python code to the Kivy launcher directory "/sdcard/kivy/<YOURAPPNAME>"
and execute it with just one click without packaging your own APK file.

Don't know which Python version is included in Kivy Launcher and believe
it is 2.7. but it think Kivy will go over to Python 3.* in the near
future.

Johannes