Python 2 to 3 Conversion

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 11:49:16 EST 2018

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 12:32:49 +0000, Rhodri James wrote:

> On 18/02/18 16:18, Wildman via Python-list wrote:
>>> But that's only going to show one (uplink) address. If I needed to get
>>> ALL addresses for ALL network adapters, I'd either look for a library,
>>> and if one wasn't easily found, I'd shell out to the "ip" command and
>>> parse its output.:)
>>>
>> I considered using the "ip" command but I prefer not to
>> depend on external programs if I can get around it.  I
>> know that might be considered silly but that's just me.
>
> It's not silly at all, but for Linux networking it might be the best
> idea.  I believe in theory you are supposed to use libnl (in some
> suitable wrapping), but my experience with that is that it is badly
> documented and horrendously unreliable.

It looks like libnl would do what I want but there is
a problem.  When finished, my program will be released
in the form of a Debian (*.deb) package and used by,
for the most part, 'average' Linux users.  These are
people that know their way around Linux but know
nothing or very little about Python.  Installing a
package using pip by them is pretty much out of the
question.  The system's package manager must be able
to handle the program's dependencies so third-party
packages are out of the question.

But thanks for the suggestion.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
"There are only 10 types of people in the world...